Today was the final day of the 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Winter Warm Up. There were a few less players interviewed today but I think there was more news than any other day. Here are the highlights:
- Brett Cecil has started his throwing program a few weeks early. He was aware that he hasn’t had the greatest starts to seasons and wants to “get the kinks and the soreness out a little bit sooner”.
- Mike Matheny said that Matt Carpenter may not necessarily be hitting leadoff. It does sound like it will definitely be between Fowler and Carpenter.
- Bill DeWitt Jr. doesn’t expect the team to make any major moves between now and spring training.
- According to Mike Matheny, Marcell Ozuna doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to hit good pitches.
- “I’ve told everybody I could tell until I’m blue in the face that this guy’s special as a teacher, and he’s not a guy that’s gonna go out there and just say stuff to say stuff. He’s very very deliberate at when he needs to say something and how it needs to be delivered.” – Matheny talking about Willie McGee. The manager has high praise for one of the newest members of his coaching staff.
- Yadier Molina says he’s calling it quits after his current contract is up.
- Matt Carpenter said his shoulder is feeling great. He had an MRI that came back clean and he is throwing and hitting without any issues.
- Randal Grichuk said that he’s going to come into spring training with the intention to win a starting job “even if that’s not possible”. He also said “I’m going to be ready to go if my name is called to play on a consistent basis”.
- Jack Flaherty roots for Tom Brady, so that’s unfortunate.
- Matheny described Mike Shildt as “a great liaison between our analytics department and what we do on the field”.
Thanks for reading!