Day 2 of the St. Louis Cardinals Winter Warm Up was full of high profile players. We also got to see Marcell Ozuna for the first time. From up and coming prospects like Oscar Mercado to veterans like Adam Wainwright, this day had it all. Here are the biggest takeaways.
- Tyler Lyons said his increased strikeout rate was a conscious effort. Claiming he tried to throw “his pitch” in all counts. His K rate increased from 24.6% in 2016 to 30.9% in 2017. 37.1% in the second half.
- Oscar Mercado cited patience at the plate and base stealing as his two main focuses during the Arizona Fall League.
- Harrison Bader sees Ozuna as an “incredible talent” and somebody to learn from.
- Being able to make all of his starts last year has given Michael Wacha confidence that he can build off of his 2017 season as spring training approaches.
- Luke Weaver has put on 10-15 pounds in order to help with his durability and endurance. He said a 5,000 calorie diet was to thank for it.
- Mike Mayers pitched in the Dominican Winter League during the offseason. According to him the hitters in that league can crush fastballs which forced him to use his offspeed stuff. He feels it really helped him develop those pitches. In 37.2 innings, Mayers had a 2.63 ERA with 37 strikeouts.
- Patrick Wisdom claims that the day of the Rule V draft was “just another day” for him.
- “I came up as a center fielder” – Tommy Pham says he feels very familiar in center fielder and is excited for the position change.
- Pham set some goals for this season including playing at least 150 games and having a 30/30 season. He would be the first 30/30 player in Cardinals history.
- Jose Martinez spent the offseason playing on a winter league team in Venezuela with his brother. He had a minor quad strain but says everything is fine now.
- Adam Wainwright’s rehab has “gone completely as smooth as we could ever expect it to”. He’s looking to come back strong in hopes of being able to pitch beyond 2018.
- Paul DeJong is already in Jupiter working with Jose Oquendo.
- Marcell Ozuna got his introduction to St. Louis. He seems to be happy to play for a winning team. “Now I play for a reason”, Ozuna said.
Thanks for reading!
Follow @lancedance1 for more updates from the final day of the 2018 Winter Warm Up.