It was a fun first day for the St. Louis Cardinals annual Winter Warm Up. One that may have disappointed some fans but it certainly didn’t lack news. Here are the most newsworthy happenings from today.
- When asked who their closer is John Mozeliak said “I think going into the season right now it would be Gregerson”. This doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Luke Gregerson has the most major league closing experience of anyone in the current bullpen. The important part of this quote may be the “right now”. This doesn’t rule out the addition of another reliever to a bullpen that could certainly use one.
- The team seems prepared to give Alex Reyes as much time as he needs to be fully healthy and prepared to start his season. They’ve set a soft May 1st target for his return and could push that up if he’s ready and progressing well but he won’t be rushed because of a need on the MLB team.
- When asked whether the slow market will allow the Cardinals to be opportunistic between now and opening day Mo said “I feel like we addressed what we were hoping to address but there’s still a lot of different things we may chase”. “Between now and opening day I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of noise on that end.”
- Mozeliak confirmed that the likely outfield defense will be Marcell Ozuna in left, Tommy Pham in center, and Dexter Fowler in right.
- Mo also said that he feels like both Ryan Helsley and Jordan Hicks will have a positive impact on the major league club at some point this year. This is a big one for me. Mo also said that it’s easy to imagine Hicks as a closer and they think that is ultimately where he ends up.
- Alex Reyes will begin throwing live BP sessions in about a week.
- Luke Voit has been practicing some outfield to try to add some versatility to his game.
- John Brebbia shaved his glorious beard and looks like a different person.
I’ll be back tomorrow with more from the 2018 winter meetings.
Thanks for reading!