In a matter of mere hours, the Cardinals will be taking the field for their first Spring Training game of the 2017 season. With so many games on TV, I’m really looking forward to having a chance to watch this team play. I can’t wait to watch some of the kids in camp, especially after some of the veterans are shipped off to the World Baseball Classic. I can’t wait to see how the question marks like Kolten Wong and Jhonny Peralta play, and I can’t wait to see if that fourth grader that Matt Adams dropped from his body ends up helping him or hurting him.
But really, I just can’t wait for Cardinals baseball.
There are a few things that you can count on every Spring Training. There are these themes that seem to be present every spring that will fuel water cooler and twitter conversations and debates. This is your primer to those narratives. These are the things that you can count on happening during spring games.
- One minor leaguer who isn’t on the 40-man will absolutely destroy the baseball early on and it will have Cardinals Nation clamoring for that player to be a starter on the big club. That player isn’t ready yet, no matter how good he looks. I’m looking at you Harrison Bader.
- There will be another injury. It may be major. It may be minor. But it will happen. Prepare yourself accordingly
- One veteran that you are hoping will rebound from a sub-par season will hit near .400. That player, whomever that might be, will break your heart by not performing the same way during the regular season. I’ve written about some of those players in the past.
- One of the pitchers on the major league staff will struggle. Bad.
- You’ll freak out about it
- That same pitcher will be fine during the season. Breathe easy
- There will be one player, probably a non roster invitee in his late 20’s, that makes the team out of Spring Training for the first time. I don’t know or understand how this happens. It doesn’t make any sense, but it will happen.
- Al Hrabosky will still be terrible. That will never change.
- Spring stats still won’t matter. They never have and they never will.
- Some “clever” graphics guy will build a graphic for a minor league player that says something close to “Minor League Guy” instead of providing that players real name. You’ll be annoyed. Your grandparents will think it’s the most clever thing they’ve seen.
- Mike Matheny will do something that will piss everyone off except for Neal Helllner. Unlike with most of the things on the list, this will continue throughout the entirety of the regular season.
- you’ll continue to get some of the best Cardinals coverage on the internet right here at The Redbird Daily. Shameless plug, I know. But these guys are good. You’re going to want to stay glued to what we have going on.
And, with that, I conclude my intro to St. Louis Cardinals Spring Training 2017. It’s finally here. It might be early, but it’s Mardi Gras weekend. Go ahead and camp out in front of your TV at noon and start drinking. Get to know Paul DeJong, Jose Adolis Garcia, and Mike Shildt. It’s game time!
Thanks for reading!