After a rainout on Saturday the St. Louis Cardinals looked to sweep what would now be a two game series against the Reds on Sunday. Things seemed to be going as planned as they took a 4-0 lead into the sixth inning. Unfortunately, things unraveled from there.
The Reds were able to score a run on Mike Leake who was very solid overall. Matt Bowman took over in the 7th inning and allowed three runs which tied the game and Trevor Rosenthal allowed one more run in the 8th inning, which led to a final score of 5-4.
It was a tough loss for the Cardinals and dropped them to 12-12 on the season. However, taking the optimistic point of view, if you had told me when the team was 3-9 that they would end April with a .500 record I would have been ecstatic about that at the time.
Monday will be the start of another four game series with the Milwaukee Brewers. This one will be hosted in Busch Stadium. The last time these two teams met the Cardinals won 3 of 4 games and took a big step toward playing better baseball.
Both teams come into the series tied for second place in the NL Central with .500 records. The Cardinals at 12-12 and the Brewers at 13-13. The Cardinals will look to keep tallying wins as they’re 7-3 in their last ten games. The Brewers will be looking to start a winning trend as they just lost two of three to the Atlanta Braves and have gone 5-5 in their last ten games.
Matchups with notable BvP stats
Monday, May 1st
- Jedd Gyorko vs. Davies (7 for 10, 1 HR, 3 2B)
Tuesday, May 2nd
- Matt Carpenter vs. Peralta (20 for 43, 3 HR, 6 2B)
Wednesday, May 3rd
Thursday, May 4th
- Ryan Braun is apparently suffering from multiple arm injuries. He is expecting to avoid a trip to the DL but could miss some time in this series. This would be great news for the Cardinals.
- Milwaukee leads MLB in home runs with 43. The Cardinals have allowed the second least home runs in the NL with 24.
- The Brewers are second in the league in stolen base attempts.
- Over the last 7 days Dexter Fowler is 10 for 23 with 2 HR’s and 3 BB’s.
Monday and Tuesday look pretty clear and those games should be played. There is a good chance of rain Wednesday night and that game is at risk of being delayed or postponed. There is also a chance of rain on Thursday but as of right now it looks like that game will be able to be played.